Shoo-Fly Pie Recipe
Although baked in a pie plate with a crust, this is not a pie but a very good molasses cake with a crumbly topping.
It's best for breakfast but equally good any time of the day.
Instructions:1. Stir soda into molasses until foamy.
2. Add water, salt, ginger and set aside.
3. Mix flour and brown sugar, cut in lard and butter, then add cinnamon.
4. Stir until crumbly.
5. Line a 9" pie plate with pastry and pour in 1/3 of the molasses mixture.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumb mixture over and continue alternating layers with crumbs as top layer.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.