Black-Eyed Pea Crabmeat Gorditas with Vinaigrette Recipe
Even without the gorditas (a kind of fried pocket bread made with corn and wheat flours) the filling makes a great salad.
Per Serving without dressing or gorditas: 384 cals, 20 g fat; or Per Serving with 1/2 cup vinaigrette and gorditas: 739 cals, 34g total fat (40% cff); 83g carbs; 11g fiber; 302mg sodium.
Instructions:1. Make the Tequila-Orange Vinaigrette and set aside.
2. Place the drained black-eyed peas in a large saucepan with the hame hock broth and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender.
4. Toward the end of the cooking time, taste the peas and season with salt as needed.
5. Drain the peas, cool, and set aside.
6. Cook the bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet until all of the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy brown.
7. Drain the bacon on paper towels, then dice.
8. Combine the bacon, crabmeat, bell peppers, poblano pepper, onion, scallions, tomato, mint, chervil and drained peas in a large bowl.
9. Add the Tequila-Orange Vinaigrette, stirring just to combine.
10. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
11. Meanwhile prepare 8 gordas or 16 gorditas (if desired).
12. Slit the gordas open with a small knife.
13. Stuff each with 2 to 3 tablespoons crabmeat mixture, or use two gorditas and fill as you would a sandwich.
14. Garnish with orange sections and cilantro, and drizzle with additional Vinaigrette.