Almond Cookies Recipe - Printable Version Makes 2 dozen
- 1 1/2 lb almonds, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp farina or toasted bread
- Crumbs (or cream of wheat)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 lb powdered sugar
- Candied cherries
- Rosewater or flower water (optional)
1. If you blanch your own almonds, place in oven for a few minutes to dry, then chop them finely.
2. Place in deep bowl.
3. Add sugar.
4. Beat egg whites lightly in another bowl, and add to the almonds.
5. Add farina or bread crumbs and the vanilla, and knead well.
6. Pinch off small pieces and roll each into a ball.
7. Press half a cherry on top of eac.
8. Place on well-buttered baking sheet and bake in preheated 250 F oven for about 20 min Place cookies on a plate, sift confectioner's sugar on, and transfer to platter to serve.
9. If you have access to rose- or flower water, sprinkle some on the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.