Festive Chicken Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4 to 5
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, or mixture of orange and pineapple concentrates
- 1/2 tsp crushed cloves and paprika
- 1 4-lb broiler, skinned and cut into serving pieces
- 2/3 cup matzo meal mix
- 2 1/2 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chop
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chop
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, pared and coarsely chop
- 3 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh sliced pineapple
1. Put 2 tablespoons honey in 8-oz measure.
2. While stirring, add concentrate, cloves and paprika.
3. Fill with water to 8 oz mark and stir.
4. Pour into a wide bowl.
5. Rinse and dry chicken.
6. Prick all over with sharp-pronged fork.
7. Add to bowl, turning several times to coat.
8. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
9. Drain chick, reserving marinade.
10. Arrange pieces on large, flat plate.
11. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Matzo Meal Mix, pressing to adhere.
13. Repeat on other side until all is evenly coated.
14. Chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
15. Preheat oven to 375 F.
16. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large, well-seasoned iron skillet.
17. In bowl, combine onions, garlic, celery and apples.
18. Strew 1/4 cup across hot oiled skillet.
19. Cook for 30 seconds over medium-high heat.
20. Add half the chicken and lightly brown on both sides, about 5 minutes, scooping up and turning with sharp edged spatula.
21. Transfer chicken and browned particles to plate.
22. Add another tablespoon of oil.
23. Repeat until all is browned.
24. Saute remaining vegetable-apple mix until lightly browned, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen particles.
25. Add marinade around edges of skillet.
26. Add 2 tbsp parsley and bring to a boil, stirring to combine.
27. Return chicken to pan, spooning with thick sauce.
28. Cover and simmer on top of stove for 3 minutes.
30. Place in center of oven for 50 minutes, spooning with sauce once, midway.
31. Remove from oven.
32. Sprinkle salt evenly over all.
33. In cup, blend remaining tbsp of honey with lemon juice and mustard.
34. Pour over chicken.
35. Re-cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
36. Drain chicken of sauce and arrange pieces on large, warmed serving plate.
37. Stir sauce and reheat briefly.
38. Spoon some of it over the chicken.
39. Cut each pineapple slice into thirds and arrange around sides of plate in neat pattern.
40. Serve immediately, sprinkled with remaining parsley; serve extra sauce on side.