Braised Chicken with Chilies and Chinese Long Beans Recipe
The intoxicating seasoning paste in this Eurasian stew may be used to fl avor chicken, beef, lamb, or seafood.
Instructions:1. Make seasoning paste: Wearing rubber gloves, seed and devein jalapeņos and about half of cherry pepper s or red chilies for a moderately hot dish.
2. Trim root ends and tough tops of l emongrass, discarding dry outer leaves, and slice thin.
3. Cut gingerroot into 4 pieces.
4. To a food processor with motor running add jalapeņos, cherry peppers or red chil ies, lemongrass, gingerroot, and remaining seasoning paste ingredients, 1 at a time through feed tube, and puree to a paste.
5. Trim beans and cut into 2-inch pieces.
6. Heat a 6-quart heavy kettle over moderately low heat until hot.
7. Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking.
8. Cook sea soning paste, stirring frequently, until dry and very fragrant, about 25 minutes.
9. Add chicken and cook over moderate heat, stirring, 10 minutes.
10. Add water and simmer chicken, covered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
11. Skim any fat from surface.
12. Stir in beans and simmer, covered, until beans are almost tender, 5 to 10 minut es.
13. Stir in lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, and salt and simmer, covered, 5 min utes, or until beans are tender.
14. Serve braised chicken with rice.