Avocado Chicken Breast with Strawberry Salsa and Crispy Tortilla Strips Recipe - Printable Version Serves 2
- For strawberry salsa:
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeno chili
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar, if desired
- For chicken breast:
- Three 5-inch corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 firm-ripe avocado
- Two 8 ounce grilled chicken breasts
1. Wearing rubber gloves, remove stems, seeds, and ribs from chili and chop fine.
2. In a bowl stir together chili and remaining salsa ingredients.
3. Salsa may be made several hours ahead and chilled, covered.
4. Stack tortillas and cut them in half.
5. Cut stacks crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips and in a heavy skillet heat 1/2 inch oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
6. Working in two batches, fry tortilla strips until crisp and golden, about 30 seconds, and with a slotted spoon transfer to paper towels to drain.
7. Sprinkle fried tortilla strips with salt to taste.
8. Halve the avocado, removing the pit, and peel.
9. Slice each half lengthwise into 6 wedges.
10. Slice chicken into 6 wedges and fan, with the avocado, onto 2 plates.
11. Spoon about 1/2 cup strawberry salsa over each fan and mound crispy tortilla strips alongside.