Hot Beef Borscht Recipe
Best served as a main meal with rye bread.
Instructions:1. Put the meat in a large heavy-based pan with 4 cups water and bring slowly to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Skim the surface frequently to get rid of any froth.
3. Cut away the stems from the beetroot and place it in a large heavy-based pan with 4 cups water.
4. Bring slowly to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 min., or until tender when pieced with a skewer.
5. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, leave the beetroot to cool then peel and grate.
6. Use tongs to remove the meat from the stock, leave to cool and dice.
7. Skim any fat from the stock.
8. Return the meat to the stock and add the onion, carrot, parsnip and grated beetroot.
9. Add 1 cup of the beetroot liquid.
10. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 min.
11. Add more beetroot liquid if a less thick soup is required.
12. Add the cabbage, stir and simmer for further 15 min.
13. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
14. Borsch is good with sour cream and chives.