Moravian Christmas Loaf Recipe - Printable Version Makes 1 loaf
- 3 cup milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup water, warm
- 6 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb raisins, chopped
- 1/2 lb currants
- 1/4 lb citron, chopped
- 1/2 cup almond, blanched, sliced
1. Scald 2 cups of the milk and let cool.
2. Add the dissolved yeast cake, 3 cups of flour and the salt. Mix well.
3. Cover and set aside to rise in a warm place, over night.
4. In the morning, scald the other cup of milk and add the butter and stir until melted.
5. Combine with the yeast mixture and add the sugar and the balance of the flour, kneading the dough well, until it is no longer sticky.
6. Use more flour if necessary.
7. Combine the fruit and sprinkle with some flour and add to the dough, mixing well.
8. Cover and let rise again until double in bulk.
9. Shape in small loaves, place in small pans, and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
10. Let rise for 2 hours.
11. Bake at 400F for 40 minutes.