Apricot and Walnut Chutney Recipe - Printable Version Makes about 6 lbs
- 3 lb apricots, or 1 lb dried apricots
- 1 lb onions, peeled, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 pint cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 2 oranges (rind only)
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 8 oz sultanas
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp english mustard
- 1/2 tsp powdered allspice
- 8 oz walnuts, very roughly chopped
1. Split and stone the fresh apricots and chop roughly.
2. If using dried apricots, put them to swell overnight in water.
3. Boil the chopped onions for a few moments to soften them, otherwise you always seem to get a few hard bits.
5. Put all the ingredients except the walnuts into a large preserving pan and bring to the boil.
6. Turn down the heat and cook gently, stirring regularly, for 1 1/2 hours until the mixture is thick and jammy.
7. Stir in the walnuts.
8. Pot while hot in warm sterilised jars. Seal.