Apple Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening, solid
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp very cold water
- 6 apples, Mcintosh or Granny's
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (heap) nutmeg, freshly ground
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
1. Make the crust: Combine the flour and salt, add the shortening, and cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives until mix resembles coarse meal.
2. Mix in water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
4. To make filling: toss the apple slices with the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
5. Preheat oven to 400 F.
6. Divide the dough in half and roll it out on a lightly floured surface.
7. Arrange the bottom crust in a 9-inch pie pan and spread 2 tablespoons of butter evenly over it.
8. Add the filling and dot with remaining butter.
9. Cover with the top crust, crimp or flute edges, and cut serveral vents for steam to escape.
10. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown.