Flapper Pie Recipe
Instructions:1. Mix together graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine.
2. Press into a 9-inch pie plate, reserve 1/4 cup for topping.
3. Bake at 375 F for 8 minutes.
4. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in a saucepan.
5. Stir in milk gradually.
6. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
7. Cook for 2 minutes more.
8. Add a little of this hot mixture to beaten egg yolks, then stir yolks into hot mixture.
9. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
10. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and vanilla.
11. Cool for 15 minutes, and pour into crumb crust.
12. Cool completely.
13. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
14. Slowly add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.
15. Stir in almond extract.
16. Spread meringue over filling, and against the edge of crust to seal.
17. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
18. Bake at 425 F just until meringue is golden, about 4 to 5 minutes.
19. Cool completely before serving.