English Cheese Pie Recipe
1. Sift together the flour, salt and sugar into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the butter to the flour, all at once.
3. Mix together until well blended.
4. Add the shortening and continue to blend by cutting it into the flour mixture.
5. The mixture will begin to look like crumbs or small pebbles.
6. It will have the texture of oatmeal.
7. Sprinkle the water over the dough, distributing it evenly throughout.
8. The dough will become sticky and cling together.
9. Gather it into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap.
10. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
12. When the pastry has chilled, roll it out on a pastry board to a thickness of 1/8-inch. The easiest way is to roll the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
13. Roll the dough up onto the rolling pin and transfer it to a 9-inch pie tin.
14. Gently press it into the tin without stretching it.
15. Use the excess pastry to make flutes or cut away the excess with a sharp knife or scissors.
16. Prick the bottom of the pastry shell thoroughly to prevent trapped air from bubbling the dough.
17. Butter a sheet of aluminum foil and place the foil down into the shell.
18. Weight it down with weights or beans to keep the crust from lifting up.
19. Bake the crust for 7 to 10 minutes, then remove the weight and the foil.
20. Return the crust to the oven and continue baking for another 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
21. If you have difficulty rolling out the dough, do not reroll it; just patch the tears or holes.
22. Rerolling will make the pastry tough.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Press the Cottage cheese through a sieve.
3. In a small saucepan, gently heat the cream and the sherry until steamy, do not allow it to scorch.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, rosewater, and the spices until frothy, about 5 minutes.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cottage cheese until it is smooth, then add the egg mixture and blend well.
6. Add the hot cream and sherry slowly to the cheese mixture and beat until well blended.
7. Stir in the currants and pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes, then allow to cool.
9. Chill and sprinkle with cinnamon.