Vegetable Consomme with Mushroom Ravioli Recipe
1. Saute onion, leek, garlic and ginger in 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Add remaining oil, carrot, parsnip and turnip; cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes with juice, salt, marjoram and 8 cups water.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat; simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
6. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve, pushing on solids to extract all liquid.
7. Discard solids.
8. Set aside.
1. Saute shallots in oil in skillet over medium-low heat until softened, about 6 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms; cook for 10 minutes until mushrooms are soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir in salt, pepper and Port.
4. Cook for 5 minutes over high heat until liquid has evaporated.
5. Cool to room temperature.
6. Lay 12 wonton sheets on a dry work surface.
7. Cut each wonton in half lengthwise.
8. Lay a scant teaspoonful of mushroom mixture on top-half of each wonton half.
9. Dampen with water 4 sides of top half of wonton where mushroom filling is; fold dry half over filling; press down edges to seal.
10. Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
11. Bring consomme to a boil in a large saucepan.
12. Drop ravioli in; cook for 2 minutes.
13. Drop in diced carrot, parsnip and leek; cook for 2 minutes.