Green Tomato Pie Recipe - Printable Version Serves 6
- 1 pastry for double crust pie
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 granny smiths apples, cored
- 2 tbsp butter or oleo, cold
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Divide pastry in half; roll out one-half and place in 9 inch pie plate, leaving about 1 inch overhang.
3. Brush marmalade evenly over the bottom.
4. Set other piece of pastry aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine sugars, tapioca, raisins, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until well combined.
6. Layer tomatoes, sugar mixture, sliced apples, and a few pieces of butter repeatedly until all ingredients are used.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry and lay it over filling.
8. Crimp edges together to seal, and make several slits in top.
9. If desired brush with milk or melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
10. Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 35 to 40 minutes.