Green Tomato Mincemeat Filling Recipe - Printable Version Makes 9 quarts
- 12 cup green tomatoes, cored (7 pounds)
- 16 cup apples, cored (8 pounds)
- 4 cup raisins
- 2 cup currants, or more raisins
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 lemons, seeded
- 2 oranges, seeded
- 6 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 pn cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 8 tbsp soft margarine
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
1. Grind tomatoes in food grinder, discarding about 2/3 of juices.
2. Grind apples in food grinder, saving all juice.
3. Grind oranges, lemons, raisins and currants, saving all juices.
4. Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
5. Cook slowly for about 2 hours, be careful it doesn't burn.
6. It should be nice and thick with just a little bit of juice.
7. Ladle into hot bottles and seal.
8. Process in boiling water bath for 15 mins.