Green Tomato Harvest Pie Recipe
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut up enough apples and tomatoes to make 3 quarts of chunks.
3. Add currants.
4. Combine brown sugar, flour, spices and salt in a bowl and rub together with your hands to blend evenly.
5. Toss with fruit.
6. Divide pie dough in unequal halves.
7. Roll the bigger half to be 1/8 inch thick.
8. Fit it into the bottom of a 10 inch deep-dish pie plate.
9. Trim edges.
10. Roll excess dough with remaining dough into a rough rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.
11. Cut in strips as wide as you prefer.
12. Fill the bottom crust with apple mixture.
13. Sprinkle rum or brandy, if desired, over the top, then dot with butter.
14. Cover crust with pastry strips in a windowpane pattern.
15. Sprinkle with a little sugar, if desired. (The pie also can be covered with cut-out pastry, with a full pastry crust or a crust of some other design.)
16. Bake for 10 minutes.
17. Lower heat to 350 degrees and cook 40 minutes or so, until the topis light brown and the filling is bubbly.
18. Letting it cool an hour or so will make it easier to slice.