Tangy Spinach Salad Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1 1/2 lb fresh spinach
- 8 oz fresh bean sprouts
- 8 1/2 oz can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 5 slice bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Tangy Spinach Dressing:
- 2/3 cup salad oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1/2 cup white or red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Trim and discard tough spinach stems.
2. Rinse leaves and pat dry.
3. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
4. Layer the sprouts, water chestnuts and spinach into your salad bowl (in that order, so that the spinach leaves won't get sorry from being underneath the water chestnuts.)
5. On top of the spinach leaves, add the crumbled bacon and the chopped egg.
6. Cover and refrigerate.
7. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar or bowl.
8. Shake, or blend well with a wire whip.
9. Just before serving, pour dressing over the salad and toss well.
10. Sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds and toss again.
11. To toast sesame seeds, place in a small, heavy, ungreased skillet over medium-high heat.
12. Toast until you hear the seeds begin to pop, shaking the pan to keep the seeds from scorching.