Thanksgiving Day Fat-Free Pumpkin Pie (Ovo Lacto) Recipe
Instructions:1. To prepare crust, generously spray 9" Pyrex pie plate with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Scatter crumbs over & evenly press into surface.
3. Spray crumbs with spray & bake crust on middle rack @ 350 for 10-15 min till dry & lightly colored.
4. Cool on rack.
5. If using fresh pumpkin, rinse, stem & halve pumpkin.
6. Scrape away seeds (bake them on jelly roll pan with dash of salt if desired) and filaments & cut into 2" chunks.
7. Using paring knife, remove skin & place pumpkin in lg baking dish.
8. Add 1/2 c water and cover dish tightly with foil.
9. Bake @ 350 about 1 hr, till soft, checking to make sure that water has not evaporated, adding more if needed.
10. Cool & puree pumpkin in food processor.
11. If there is more than needed, salt leftovers lightly & freeze up to several months in tightly sealed plastic container.
12. To prepare filling, scrape cooked fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin into bowl & whisk in egg whites.
13. Whisk in sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & evap milk, one ingredient at a time, whisking smooth between each addition.
14. Pour into prepared crust.
15. Bake @ 350 till filling is set, 1 hr.
16. Cool on rack.
17. Refrigerate if prepared more than a few hours in advance of serving.