Sweet Potato and Apricot Puree with Pecan Streusel Recipe - Printable Version Serves 6
284 calories; 5g fat (16% calories from fat); 3g protein; 58g carbohydrate; 2mg cholesterol; 4mg sodium.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- 6 oz dried apricots (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar, to taste
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted lightly
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Prick potatoes and bake in middle of oven 1 1/2 hours, or until very soft.
3. Scoop flesh into a bowl.
4. In a saucepan cover apricots by 1" with cold water and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Reserve 2 tbs of cooking liquid and drain apricots.
6. In a food processor puree apricots with granulated sugar and reserved liquid until smooth.
7. Add puree to potatoes with salt to taste and with an electric mixer beat until smooth.
8. Spread mixture in a buttered 2 qt shallow baking dish. (Puree may be made to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
9. Reduce oven temperature to 400¼.
10. In a small bowl blend with your fingers flour, brown sugar, butter, pecans, and salt to taste until combined well and crumble over puree.
11. Bake puree in middle of oven until heated through and streusel is bubbling, about 15 minutes.