Gingered Sweet-Potato Fritters Recipe - Printable Version Serves 2
- 1/2 lb sweet potato
- 1 1/2 tsp minced peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Peel and grate coarse the sweet potato.
2. In a food processor chop fine the grated sweet potato with the gingerroot, the lemon juice, the red pepper flakes, an d the salt, add the egg and the flour, and blend the mixture well.
3. In a large saucepan heat 1 1/2 inches of the oil over moderately high heat to 360F on a deep-fat thermometer, drop tablespoons of the sweet-potato mixture into the oil i n batches, and fry the fritters, turning them, for 2 minutes, or until they are golden.
4. Transfer the fritters to paper towels to drain.
5. Makes about 18 small fritters, serving 2 as an hors d'oeuvre or 9 as an appetizer.