Raised Potato Doughnuts Recipe - Printable Version Makes 18 doughnuts
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
1. Combine the dry yeast with the warm (110 degrees) water. Set aside.
2. Heat the milk with the butter and sugar in a small saucepan until the butter begins to melt. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Combine the mashed potatoes with the egg in a large bowl.
4. Stir in the cooled milk mixture, the dissolved yeast and the salt.
5. Gradually beat in enough of the flour to form a soft dough.
6. Turn out onto a lightly floured board.
7. Knead until smooth.
8. Place in a lightly buttered bowl, turning to grease the entire outside surface. Cover.
9. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (1-1 1/2 hours).
10. Punch down. Knead again.
11. Roll out on a lightly floured board to a thickness of 1/4".
12. Cut out using a floured doughnut cutter. Cover.
13. Let rise until doubled.
14. Preheat the oil in the deep fryer.
15. Fry doughnuts until browned on both side (about 2 minutes). Drain.
16. Sprinkle with sugar.