Potato Soup with Kale and Bacon Recipe
Instructions:1. Peel potatoes and put in a pot with enough cold, salted water to cover.
2. Cover and bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat, uncover, and simmer until done, about 25 minutes.
4. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
5. Break up potatoes with a potato masher; they should be lumpy, not smooth.
6. Cook the bacon until crisp.
7. Drain and chop.
8. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, reserving the extra fat.
9. Stem and chop the kale.
10. Mince the garlic.
11. Cook half the kale and half the garlic in the 2 tablespoons bacon fat over medium heat until kale is wilted, about 1 minute.
12. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
13. Repeat with remaining kale and garlic, using the reserved bacon fat as needed.
14. Return all the kale to the frying pan and add the heavy cream.
15. Simmer over low heat until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
16. Mince the chives.
17. Combine potatoes with about 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid in a large pot.
18. Add more cooking liquid or water if too thick.
19. Add kale mixture to the pot and bring to a simmer.
20. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
21. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with chives and bacon.