Delicious Potato Doughnuts Recipe - Printable Version Makes 4 dozen doughnuts
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Cooking oil
- Fast Fudge Frosting:
- 4 cups (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, sugar, buttermilk and eggs.
2. Stir in butter, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and enough of the flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat out to 3/4-inch thickness.
4. Cut with a 2-1/2-inch floured doughnut cutter.
5. In an electric skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350F.
6. Fry the doughnuts for 2 minutes per side or until browned.
7. Place on paper towels.
8. For frosting, sift sugar, cocoa and salt into a large bowl.
9. Stir in water, butter and vanilla.
10. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in frosting.