New Corn Chowder, Southern Style Recipe
The key to this delicious soup is to gently scrape the kernels off the corn cob with a table fork so the skins remain on the cob, leaving you with only the fresh pulp.
Instructions:1. Use a 12" square of cheesecloth to make a bouquet garni of the first 7 ingredients and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, first soften the bacon, then add the corn, onions, and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, tomatoes, and the bouquet garni.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and slow boil for 1 hour.
5. Remove the bouquet garni.
6. Add the cayenne pepper.
7. Meanwhile, using your fingers, dissolve the cornstarch in heavy cream at room temperature.
8. Add cornstarch/cream mixture to soup and stir until heated through.