Green Corn Tamales Recipe
Instructions:1. Husk the corn.
2. Save the inner leaves for wrapping the tamales.
3. Cut the corn from the ears and put the kernels through a corn grinder.
4. If the corn isn't ground fine enough, grind again, adding milk with the corn (amount needed depends on quality of the corn).
5. If corn is ground commercially, milk may be added afterward.
6. Melt lard and heat until it smokes.
7. Set aside to cool.
8. Mix the cooled lard, the sugar and salt into the ground corn.
9. Sample to determine if more sugar or salt is needed.
10. The mixture should resemble a smooth batter.
11. To assemble tamales, place 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons toward the stem end of the husk.
12. Add cheese and chili strips.
13. Fold sides of husks over to cover the filling, then fold in half.
14. Stack folded side down to keep tamale closed until ready to cook.
15. To cook, line bottom of large kettle with corn cobs and add water to cobs.
16. Spread discarded husks over the cobs, then stand tamales on top of husks, open end up.
17. Steam for about 45 minutes.
18. Open one for sampling and give more time if necessary.