Crisp Corn Bread Waffles Recipe - Printable Version Makes 6 to 8
- 8 to 10 strips of bacon, bacon fat and vegetable oil, to make 1/2 cup
- 2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
1. Fry bacon crisp.
2. Drain, reserve drippings and add oil to make 1/2 cup.
3. Crumble bacon and reserve (you should have 1/2 cup crumbled bacon).
4. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar in medium-sized bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, combine , milk and vinegar.
6. Let stand 10 minutes.
7. Beat eggs in large mixer bowl.
8. Add bacon fat and milk mixture to eggs.
9. Add cornmeal mixture and reserved bacon. Mix thoroughly.
10. Bake in waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions, until brown and crisp.
11. Serve hot.
12. Waffles may be frozen for later use. To serve, thaw in microwave on defrost cycle or in toaster oven.