Corn Cakes with Sweet Pepper Relish Recipe
Instructions:1. Relish: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the red and green peppers and the garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the lime juice, sugar, and salt.
4. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the juices are slightly thickened.
5. Cool slightly and stir in the cilantro.
6. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
7. Corn cakes: Stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cumin.
8. Stir in the milk, eggs, Tabasco, chilies, and corn.
9. Let sit for 15 minutes.
10. In a large non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat, melt a couple slivers of the butter.
11. When pan is very hot, spoon 2 tablespoons batter into the pan for each cake.
12. Cook about 3 cakes at a time for about 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. The batter should make about 10 to 12 cakes.
13. Keep warm while cooking the remaining cakes, adding a little butter to the pan before cooking each batch.
14. Serve the corn cakes with a little of the relish on top. Bottled salsa also can be served with the corn cakes in place of the relish.