Chile Corn Cakes Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, approximately 4 cobs
- 2/3 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp pure chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup rich chicken stock
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil for sauteeing
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and saute the peppers, corn and onions for 25 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
2. Add the chili powder and cumin and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
5. Add the cornmeal, egg, milk and butter and mix well until very smooth.
6. Add the corn mixture and cilantro and season to taste.
7. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat thoroughly.
8. Add corn batter in large dollops and saute for 35 minutes on each side until golden brown.
9. Remove with a spatula, place on paper towels and pat dry.
10. Cook in batches.
11. Keep corn cakes warm in a 275 F oven until ready to serve.