Chayote and Corn Stuffed Chilies with Red Sauce Recipe
Instructions:1. Roast chili peppers according to your favorite method.
2. Place roasted peppers in a bowl, cover, then allowed to steam for a few minutes to help facilitate removal of the peels.
3. Carefully remove peels from roasted peppers, leaving stems attached.
4. Remove seeds by cutting a slit along one side of each pepper and gently scraping and rinsing out seeds and attached membranes.
5. Pat dry and set aside.
6. For filling, in a heavy skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.
7. Add garlic, onion and chayote; cook until onion is translucent and mixture begins to brown, stirring frequently.
8. Remove pan from heat and add corn, chili pepper, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice, stirring to combine well.
9. Gently mix in breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast.
10. On a flat surface, open up one pepper at a time and spread about 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the center of each.
11. Carefully roll sides of pepper around filling to enclose, pressing firmly to shape.
12. For batter, in a pie plate or shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
13. Gradually mix in water to form a batter of medium consistency.
14. Heat 1-1/2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
15. Lightly roll each stuffed chili pepper in flour.
16. Carefully coat each pepper with batter, as evenly as possible, using stem to help drag chili through mixture, and a spoon to spread batter over top of chili if necessary.
17. Fry chilies in hot oil, two at a time, until lightly browned, turning once. It should take about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
18. Remove and drain on absorbent paper. The temperature and freshness of the oil is important.
19. For Red Sauce, in a food processor or blender, puree garlic and onion with tomato sauce.
20. Transfer to a saucepan and add water, ground red chili pepper, salt, cinnamon and cumin. Cook sauce over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
21. To serve, spoon a little sauce onto each plate, spreading it around in a spiral fashion with the back of the spoon to form a large circle.
22. Place a chili onto circle of sauce, drizzling a bit of additional sauce over top if desired, and garnish with a few slices of avocado and/or some finely minced cilantro leaves.