Pirohy (Pirogi) Recipe
Instructions:1. Mix all ingredients with enough water to make a soft dough.
2. After kneading well, roll out thin.
3. Cut dough into about 60 squares.
4. On each square, place 1 teaspoon of filling.
5. Fold in half to make triangles.
6. Pinch edges together, making sure this is done well to keep filling from escaping.
7. Carefully drop in salted boiling water and cook until all pirohy rise to the top of the water and cook for 5 minutes longer.
8. Carefully strain.
9. Place in serving dish and pour over golden brown butter.
10. On top of this, if you are serving the panske pirohy with the lekvar filling, sprinkle nuts and sugar.
11. If you are serving them “po liptovsky”, (these are filled with potato and dill filling) sprinkle some cottage cheese on top.
12. Some prefer a little onion fried in butter until golden brown and this is poured over the kind that have the potato filling.
Cheese Filling or Potato Filling:
Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly.
1. Add salt to cabbage and set aside to stand for several minutes.
2. Then squeeze out water from cabbage and fry in 1 tablespoon butter that has been browned.
3. Add sugar.
4. Fry until golden brown, stirring occasionally to keep from burning.