Borscht Recipe - Printable Version Serves 6
- 2 qts beef stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped finely
- 2 large beetroots, peeled and julienned
- 3 stalks celery, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 small cabbage, shredded
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, chopped finely
- 3 sprigs italian parsley
- To serve:
- Light sour cream
- Finely chopped dill
1. Bring the stock, potatoes, carrots, onion, beetroot, celery, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper to boil in a large saucepan.
2. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
3. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, dill and parsley.
4. Cook for a further 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
6. Serve in large soup plates with a teaspoon each of sour cream and chopped dill.