Traditional Hamantaschen Recipe - Printable Version Makes 24 cookies
- 1 pk dry yeast
- 1/4 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
1. Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of lukewarm milk, making certain that the milk is not too warm.
2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar and set aside.
3. In a deep mixing bowl, combine the butter, remaining sugar, salt and scalded milk, and stir until all are blended.
4. When lukewarm, stir in the yeast.
5. Add the eggs and about 2 cups of the flour, and beat to a smooth batter.
6. Add remaining flour to make a tender dough.
7. Turn out on a floured board and knead for about 2 minutes.
8. Grease a large mixing bowl; grease whole surface of the large ball of dough and place dough in bowl.
10. Let rise in a warm, but not hot, place, to double its bulk, 2 to 4 hours.
11. Again knead on a floured board for about a minute.
12. Roll out 1/8-inch thick.
13. Cut into 3 to 4-inch circles.
14. Place filling on each.