Traditional Hamantaschen Recipe
114 calories per cookie.
Instructions:1. Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of lukewarm milk, making certain that the milk is not too warm.
2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar and set aside.
3. In a deep mixing bowl, combine the butter, remaining sugar, salt and scalded milk, and stir until all are blended.
4. When lukewarm, stir in the yeast.
5. Add the eggs and about 2 cups of the flour, and beat to a smooth batter.
6. Add remaining flour to make a tender dough.
7. Turn out on a floured board and knead for about 2 minutes.
8. Grease a large mixing bowl; grease whole surface of the large ball of dough and place dough in bowl.
10. Let rise in a warm, not hot, place, to double its bulk. (Takes from 2 to 4 hours.)
11. Again knead on a floured board for about a minute.
12. Roll out 1/8 of an inch thick.
13. Cut into 3- to 4-inch circles.
14. Place filling on each.
15. Recipe for Mohn Filling follow.
16. To shape true hamantaschen, pinch eges of a circle together over filling, leaving about 1/2 open, forming a cornucopia.
17. Then fold over the flap and pinch these edges firmly together.
18. Arrange well apart on a greased cookie sheet.
19. Cover with a cloth and let rise again in a wam place to double in bulk.
20. Brush tops with the egg yolk, thinned with a little water.
21. Bake in a moderate oven (350F) for 15 to 20 minutes.