Toasted Tongues Recipe
Instructions:1. Position an oven rack on the lowest shelf, and preheat oven to 200 F.
2. Separate the whites from the yolks of the eggs into two small bowls. Make sure there are no yolks in the bowl of whites.
3. Rapidly beat the eggs until they form stiff peaks.
4. Slowly stir spoonfuls of sugar into the whites and continue to beat until the entire cup of sugar has been added. The whites should now form stiff, shiny peaks.
5. Add two to three drops of red food coloring. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
6. To form tongues: Spoon about 3 tablespoons of meringue in the shape of a tongue onto the parchment paper. Tongues should be the length of the Popsicle sticks.
7. Press a Popsicle stick gently into the center of the tongue, leaving about 2 inches of stick hanging out.
8. Bake for about 3 hours or until tongues are completely dry to the touch.
9. Allow to cool completely before carefully lifting them off the paper.