Sourdough Pancakes or Waffles Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup warm milk, 90F to 100F
- 1/3 cup melted margarine
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup rolled oats, OR 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 separated fresh eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp No-Salt (or salt)
- 1 tbsp salad oil
1. Allow the starter mixture to reach room temperature.
2. Stir well, remove and save one cup for future use.
3. Renew starter if necessary.
4. Mix starter, milk and all purpose flour and allow to ferment, covered with saran wrap, for 12 ~ 24 hours.
5. Blend melted margarine and egg yolks.
6. Mix the baking soda with the baking powder and the whole wheat flour and rolled oats (or the substitute all-purpose flour) and add to the margarine and egg yolks.
7. Stir into the starter mixture until blended.
8. Whip the egg whites until stiff and stir into batter.
9. Thin batter with milk, if necessary, until thickness of heavy cream.
10. Cook saucer-sized pancakes on a hot (400 F) griddle.
11. Cook waffles at 375 F in waffle iron. Makes 16.