Sourdough English Muffins Recipe - Printable Version Makes 12 muffins
- 1 pk yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (90 f to 105, F)
- 1/2 cup basic sourdough starter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (90 f to 105, F)
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose, flour
1. Grease large bowl and set aside.
2. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water in another large bowl and let stand 5 minutes to proof.
3. Add starter, dry milk, sugar and salt and blend well.
4. Mix in remaining water.
5. Add 3 cups flour and beat until smooth.
6. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 3/4 cup flour as necessary.
7. Transfer dough to greased bowl, turning to coat all surfaces.
8. Cover with plastic and let stand in warm draft-free area until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
9. Sprinkle work surface and baking sheet with cornmeal.
10. Punch dough down and turn out onto surface.
11. Roll to thickness of about 1/2 inch.
12. Cut into rounds using 3-inch cutter.
13. Place rounds cornmeal side up on baking sheet.
14. Cover and let stand in warm draft-free area until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
15. Preheat griddle to 275 F; grease lightly.
16. Cook muffins on both sides until lightly browned, turning once, about 10 minutes per side.
17. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
18. Store in airtight plastic bags.
19. Split and toast just before serving.