Slovak Doughnuts Recipe - Printable Version Makes a dozen
- 1 pk yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pint scalded, cooled milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 7 cup flour (approx)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 x grated rind, lemon or orang
1. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk.
2. Add 2 cups of flour.
3. Let stand in warm place 30 minutes.
4. Beat egg yolks, egg, sugar, vanilla, rind (grated rind of 1/2 lemon or 1/2 orange) and salt until light.
5. Add this to the yeast mixture.
6. Melt butter and mix in, then add remaining flour.
7. Cover and let rise one hour or until double in bulk.
8. When light, turn on floured board and pat with hands till dough is half an inch thick.
9. Cut with a doughnut cutter, cover and let rise again until light.
10. Drop in hot fat and fry till done.