Sweet and Sour Whole Fish Recipe - Printable Version Serves 4
- 1 whole sea bass or red snapper, 1 1/2 to 2 lbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup green pepper, in chunks
- 1/2 cup white onion, in chunks
- 1/2 cup canned diced pineapple
- 1 tsp cornstarch
1. Clean and scale the fish, leaving on the head and tail.
2. Pat dry.
3. Lightly season the inside and outside of fish with salt and make three slashes 1/4-inch deep on each side for better cooking.
4. Brush the fish with the beaten egg then roll in the flour.
5. Pour 3 inches of oil into a roasting pan and heat to 375 F.
6. Test the temperature by dropping in cube of bread. If it raises to the surface immediately and browns, the oil is ready.
7. Immerse the head in the oil very gently to avoid splattering; slide in the rest of the fish.
8. Deep-fry for 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
9. Remove and drain on papper towels.
10. Lay the fish on a serving platter and cover with the sweet and sour sauce.
11. Serve immediately.