Perfect Fish and Chips Recipe
1. Wash fish filets in lemon and water.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Chill while you prepare the batter.
4. Sprinkle yeast over warm water. Let stand until dissolved.
5. Place flour in a bowl with the salt and sugar and make a well in the center.
6. Add the dissolved yeast, oil and 2/3 of the beer and stir with a wooden spoon just to combine.
7. Stir in remaining beer.
8. Let the batter stand, covered, in a warm place 30 to 35 minutes, until it has thickened and becomes frothy.
9. Dry fish with paper towels and cut each fillet diagonally in 2 pieces.
10. Heat the oven to warm.
11. Stir together remaining flour, pepper and salt in a plate.
12. Heat the oil.
13. Whip egg white until it forms soft peaks and fold it into the batter.
14. Coat fish with seasoned flour, patting so they are evenly coated.
15. Shake off excess flour.
16. Using a 2 pronged fork dip the fish in the batter.
17. Lift it out and hold it over the bowl 5 seconds to drip off excess batter.
18. Carefully lower the piece of fish into the hot oil and deep fry , turning once until golden brown and crisp.
19. Fry 1 or 2 pieces at a time, transferring to paper towels as you go.
20. Keep warm in the oven until all fish is done, or until you finish frying the potatoes.
21. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
22. You may add dried herbs to the batter. Same batter may be used for onion rings, shrimp, vegetables.