Sweet and Sour Fish Fillets Recipe
Shrimp or chicken are good substituted for the fish in this recipe.
Instructions:1. Slice ocean perch fillets into about 2 x 1-inch pieces.
2. Dredge in corn starch and allow to dry slightly on wax paper.
3. Make a batter of about 1/2 cup flour, 1 egg, 1/2 cup water, and salt.
4. In a separate small pot, dissolve 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup cider vinegar over medium heat.
5. Stir up corn starch in 1/2 cup water, add to pot.
6. Stir thoroughly.
7. Add pineapple, carrot, sweet pickles, and tomato.
8. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until sauce is clear and not cloudy.
10. Pour oil halfway up wok.
11. Turn heat to highest point.
12. When you think oil is hot enough for deep frying, take a piece of bread crust and place in oil to see if it is ready. If the bread crust is not browned readily, then oil is not ready. If the bread crust is medium brown, then oil is ready. If the bread crust is a dark brown, then turn oil off and allow it to cool at least 5 minutes before using.
13. Be sure and retest oil before deep frying anything in it.
14. When the oil is ready, place 8 to 10 pieces of fish in batter.
15. Take a pair of chopsticks or fork and carefully lift pieces of fish from batter into oil.
16. At first the fish will sink to bottom of oil. They will rise. When the fish is risen, deep fry for about 4 minutes, 2 minutes on each side.
17. Remove fish to paper toweling to drain excess oil, then arrange fish on serving platter.
18. Repeat procedure until all fish is deep fried.
19. Pour sweet and sour sauce over fish.