To freshen finnan haddie, soak it in cold milk for an hour, drain, then poach it in fresh milk. The milk sweetens the fish and tames its saltiness.
Instructions:1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Put the eggs, fish and rice in a large mixing bowl; toss together lightly to mix.
3. Put the cream in a small saucepan, add the curry powder and nutmeg, heat, stirring until the spices are blended.
4. Add the cream mixture, pepper, and lemon juice to the rice mixture, and gently toss.
5. Taste for salt and seasoning and adjust if needed (the dish won't need any salt if the smoked fish is salty).
6. Put the Kedgeree in a casserole and heat in oven only until piping hot.
7. Serve on a platter surrounding softly scrambled eggs, and garnished with lime wedges.