Fresh and Salt Cod Cakes with Jalapeno Tartar Sauce Recipe
Instructions:1. Soak cod in water overnite, change water several times, rinse and drain. To determine if cod has soaked enough; taste soaking water. The cod is soaked if the mix is *slightly* salty and the fish has plumped up to nearly double it's original size. Soaking cod too long results in fish fiber with no taste.
2. In a large saucepan, Mix together the soaked and drained salt cod, water and milk.
3. Put the bay leaf, thyme and parsley in a 4 inch square piece of cheesecloth and tie it together with string. Place the bouquet garni in the cod, water, milk, mix.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Add the fresh cod and cook for 5 minutes more.
6. Drain and remove the fish to a large bowl to cool, discarding the flavoring ingredients.
7. Flake fish with a fork and set aside.
8. In a large skillet, melt the butter until sizzling, add the celery and chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
9. Add the cooked vegetables to the flaked fish, add the egg and mix to coat, then add the green onions, chives, parsley, cayenne pepper, tabasco sauce, dried mustard, worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
10. Form the mixture into 6 to 8, 3" to 4" patties, 1/2 cup of mix makes 3" patties.
11. Place on a baking sheet and cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
12. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs as needed.
13. When ready to cook, whisk together the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl.
14. In a small shallow pie plate combine the cornmeal and flour.
15. Dip a codcake into the flour mixture, then in the egg and milk mixture and finally dredge them in the remaining breadcrumbs.
16. Repeat with the remainder of the codcakes.
17. In a large skillet melt together the butter and the oil.
18. Fry half of the codcakes in the skillet about 3-4 minutes per side. The results should be fairly brown.
19. Drain the fishcakes on paper towels.
20. Repeat with the remainder of the cakes.
21. Serve warm with the Jalapeno Tartar Sauce and fresh lemon or lime wedges.