Savory Poached Carp (Hot or Jelled) Recipe
Instructions:1. Put onions vinegar and 1/4 cup water into 3-quart Dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
2. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until all liquid evaporates, stirring often.
3. Add remaining water, stock, celery, carrot, lemon, 2 tbsp sugar, and parsley bundle. Bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat to slow-boil and cook, uncovered, for 5 min. Add fish.
5. Bring liquid to boil and baste fish several times.
6. Reduce heat to simmering.
7. Cover and cook for 30 min Uncover, raise heat slightly and slow-boil for 10 min longer.
8. With slotted spatula, transfer slices to plate. Discard skin.
9. Pull out bones, separating large chunks of flesh to make bones visible.
10. Spoon with a little of the hot poaching liquid. Cover to keep warm.
11. Strain contents of pot thru a fine sieve.
12. Rinse out pot and fill with strained broth.
13. Stir in remaining sugar.
14. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce until about 3/4 cup remains.
15. Pour exuded liquid from fish into the pot.
16. To serve hot, portion individual servings onto warm plates and spoon with some of the poaching liquid.
17. To serve jelled, arrange fish in wide casserole in one layer. Pour poaching liquid over it. Cover tightly and chill overnight (poaching liquid will jell).
18. Cut into serving pieces; garnish with watercress. Serve with beet horseradish.