Crawfish or Shrimp Etouffee Recipe
Instructions:1. Throughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl combine the onions, celery, and bell peppers.
3. In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat the oil over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 4 minutes.
4. With a long handled whisk, gradually mix in the flour , stirring until smooth.
5. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is dark brown, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vegetables and 1 tbsp of the seasoning mix with a wooden spoon; continue stirring until cooled, about 5 minutes.
7. In a 2-quart saucepan bring 2 cups of the stock to a boil over high heat.
8. Gradually add the roux and whisk until thoroughly dissolved.
9. Reduce heat to low and cook until flour taste is gone, about 2 minutes, whisking almost constantly.
10. Remove from heat and set aside.
11. In a 4-quart saucepan melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat.
12. Stir in shrimp and the green onions;saute 1 minute, stirring almost constantly.
13. Add the remaining stick of butter, the stock mixture and the remaining 1 cup stock; cook until butter melts and is mixed into the sauce, about 4-6 minutes, constantly shaking the pan in a back and forth motion.
14. Add the remianing seasoning mix, stir well and remove from heat (if sauce starts to separate, add about 2 tbsp more of stick or water and shake pan until it combines) . Serve immediately.