Basil's Crab Cakes, Louisiana-Style Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 8 oz blue crab meat, shredded
- 8 oz snow crab meat, shredded
- 8 oz shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cajun spice (not too salty)
- 2 1/2 cup Basil's garlic mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs, plus 1/4 cup for dusting cakes
- Oil for sauteing
- Basil's champagne sauce
- Green olives (garnish)
- Chopped tomatoes (garnish)
1. Combine crab meat and shrimp in a bowl.
2. Add peppers and scallions; mix with a wooden spoon.
3. Add mustard, salt, pepper, Cajun spice and garlic mayonnaise; stir.
4. Stir in 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, mixing until thoroughly blended.
5. Shape mixture into 8 patties, each about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.
6. Sprinkle both sides with remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
7. Heat oil in a skillet until very hot.
8. Add crab cakes and saute on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
9. Bake crab cakes in a preheated 400-degree oven until crisp, about 5 minutes.
10. Spoon 1/4 cup Champagne sauce on each of 8 serving plates.
11. Place a crab cake on each plate.
12. Garnish with green olives and chopped tomatoes, if desired.