Bouillabaisse Recipe - Printable Version Serves 8
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4 cup doxee clam juice
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup water
- 2 orange zest
- 1 dash cayenne
- 3 saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 lb red snapper
- 1 lb rock shrimp
- 1 lb bay scallops
- 1 dozen clams, steamed (reserve broth from steamed clams for use in the bouillabaise)
- 12 appalachacola oysters
1. Skin fish and cut into serving sized pieces.
2. Use fillets.
3. Flounder or other firm white fish may be substituted.
4. Heat olive oil in a large pot and cook garlic and onion til soft over moderate heat.
5. Add the leek and cook for 10 min Add tomatoes and sugar.
6. Simmer 5 min. Add all remaining ingredients except seafood and simmer 30 min, covered.
7. Strain the broth discarding the orange zest and bay leaf.
8. Puree the remaining vegetables with some of the broth and return it to the pot.
9. Add the salt and pepper adjusting to suit your taste.
10. This portion can be refrigerated or frozen at this point.
11. Strain the broth from the steamed clams and add to the pot.
12. Add the clams (may be diced, if preferred).
13. Add the remaining seafood and the dark portion of the leek and simmer for 3-5 min. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
14. Correct the seasonings.
15. Ladle into bowls and serve with garlic bread and Sauce Rouille.