Salvation Army Doughnuts Recipe
Instructions:1. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add eggs and vanilla if using extract and beat well.
3. Combine dry ingredients (including vanilla if using powder) then sift together.
4. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with milk.
5. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick on floured board.
6. Cut into rounds, and cut out centers.
7. A glass works well for cutting, with a small, empty prescription pill bottle to cut the centers.
8. The centers can be rolled together for more doughnuts or fried as they are for doughnut holes.
9. Deep fry in vegetable oil, turning once, until browned.
10. Drain on grocery bag (to absorb oil) and dust with confectioner's sugar.