Raised Doughnuts Recipe
For a spiced Christmas version, add ground cinnamon, ginger and a pinch of nutmeg to the sugar before shaking the doughnuts.
Instructions:1. Mix 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl.
2. Add milk, shortening and eggs.
3. Beat on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
4. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
5. Stir in remaining flour until smooth.
6. Cover and let rise in warm place 50 to 60 minutes or until double. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)
7. Turn dough onto generously floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
8. Flatten dough with hands or rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness.
9. Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
10. Push together scraps and gently knead 2 or 3 times.
11. Flatten dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with floured 3-inch doughnut cutter.
12. Cover doughnuts and let rise 30 to 40 minutes or until double.
13. Heat oil (1 1/2 to 2 inches) in Dutch oven to 350F.
14. Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
15. Fry about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
16. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surfaces); drain on paper towels.
17. Roll or shake in sugar.