Quiche Pastry Recipe - Printable Version Makes 1 quiche crust
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 4 1/2 tbsp ice water
1. Place the flour, salt, butter and shortening in a large bowl.
2. Rub the flour and fat together until the fat is broken into pieces the size of oatmeal flakes. Don't over-blend.
3. Using a pastry knife, add the ice water, a little at a time, mixing until it just starts to hold together.
4. Press the dough into a roughly shaped ball.
5. Knead it briefly into a fairly smooth ball, then sprinkle lightly with flour and wrap in a sheet of waxed paper.
6. Chill 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
7. When ready to roll, sprinkle work surface and rolling pin with flour and roll the pastry out into a circle 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick.
8. Butter a 9″ pie tin.
9. Place the crust in the pan and press gently to line the inside. Crimp edges.
10. To partially bake the shell, line the pastry with buttered, lightweight foil.
11. Fill the center with dry beans or rice.
12. Bake in the middle level of a preheated 400F oven for about 8-9 minutes or until the pastry seems set.
13. Remove foil and beans, prick bottom of the pastry with a fork, and return to oven for 2-3 minutes.