Walnut Hermits Recipe - Printable Version Makes 6 dozen cookies
A simple cookie that goes well with a cold glass of milk.
- 1 cup shortening or butter
- 2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Whole walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl, blend together shortening or butter and brown sugar.
3. Beat in eggs.
4. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Add spices.
6. Stir in sour cream or buttermilk, then add walnuts, raisins and dates.
7. Stir well.
8. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
9. Top each cookie with a whole walnut.
10. Bake 12-15 minutes at 350ø.
11. Remove to a wire rack to cool.